Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Six Week Challenge

Sunday:
"What?"

"Low-carb diet for a week for the sake of science?"

"Sure, why not? How hard can that be?"

Wednesday:
"What the f#*$?"

Three days into my fad diet and I've figured out why diets don't work for most people. It's not about discipline or self control, it's about lack of preparation. Let me give you a quick run through of the week.

Monday: Wake up. Nothing in the fridge but leftovers from an Easter family party so I skip the rice and head straight for the beefsteak and ham. Feeling pretty gross. Kuya's birthday is that night, so I skip food until dinner time, around seven. Not by choice, but because I was busy with projects all day. In the meantime, I'm starrrving. At Sushi Dan I have three sake bombs (forgot about the carbs in beer -_-) some sliced albacore with fried onion, and baked langostino. Feeling pretty confident at this point.

Tuesday: Nothing in the fridge again. Easter leftovers are so unappetizing I only have a small portion. Editing photos, writing stories, doing research and before you know it, it's time to go to work. Pick up a grande iced vanilla latte. There's a chocolate on chocolate Good Luck cake for one of the managers who was leaving. I guess you can say refusing a slice was a piece of cake (I should go on a pun diet). So exhausted when I get home, I wash up and knock out. Went to bed hungry.

Wednesday: Wake up. Craving ALL KINDS of foods. Fridge is empty again. Ate some beefsteak and cucumbers. Pick up some Naked Juice (which probably isn't All that great for you) and drink half of that on the way to school. Walk into the newsroom to a box of mini scones and licorice. Martin proceeds to chomp down a granola bar with peanut butter. I look on with envy (it didn't even look that appetizing). Get home. At this point I'm pretty desperate to get some calories in my stomach so I settle for a fettuccine alfredo Lean Cuisine. It's okay, because that's lean, right? Yeah, nice try Laura.

So there you have it, after three days I've miserably failed the low carb bullshit. If I had been better prepared, I would have probably not scarfed down that alfredo, but to be fair, I just moved into a new place and we don't have a full sized fridge. This is basically what I have to work with for now:

Just big enough for a loaf of bread. Too bad I can't have any.
Four more days.

xx, LC

No comments:

Post a Comment