Thursday, July 2, 2009

RIP

I guess I'm a litte late to the party, but this is my official blog on the life and death of Michael Jackson.

Whether you loved him or you hated him, no one can honestly say they weren't emotionally affected by his death.

I remember sitting in Yogurtland when I heard the news. I thought it was a joke. I remember walking aimlessly through the mall, wondering what a coincidence it was that every store was playing Michael Jackson or the Jackson 5. I shrugged it off, embracing the fact that there was actually music playing that I enjoyed. Then the texts came in. And the radio tributes. And if word of mouth wasn't enough, then came the news articles. I still couldn't believe it. I couldn't comprehend that something that was so engrained into my life, my childhood, my culture, was gone. I guess I never expected him to die. I always assumed he'd be there and never disappear, like trees, air or an appendage. I felt he'd live longer than me, like he was immortal. I was never so disturbed to hear of a celebrity's death.

It's because Michael Jackson was more than a celebrity. He was like a deity. When I say everyone was into Michael Jackson, I mean EVERYONE was into Michael Jackson. He broke barriers of age, race, class and musical genres. Everyone loved him, not just the country, but the whole world.

He was a musical trailblazer. You try and tell me that Thriller still doesn't give you chills. That album alone sold 100 million records. 100 MILLION. NO ARTIST dead or alive comes close to that. He was one of the best things to come out of America. Something we could really be proud of (take that, Europe!).

RIP Kinp of Pop


xx
lovelc

No comments:

Post a Comment