Monday, February 22, 2010

spill it out to the ragged floor

As I was getting on the 5 freeway this morning I stopped at a light and saw a man standing there with a ragged piece of cardboard, accessorized with a beanie and long beard. I was shocked to see how young he was, probably about my age. I found his dreads amusing so reached into my wallet and saw that I had only five dollar bills. & I hesitated.

I was reluctant to give the guy five bucks. Although it seemed like a lot to me, it would have definitely seem like a million bucks to him. I guess it was just a trust thing, I mean, how could I know that this guy was actually in need and not a professional panhandler? I try my best to give back to the world, and not only to my friends and family but to the community, because what good is living if you only live for yourself? But I also think it's unfair for people to become professional panhandlers and make money off of people's good will. & it's a popular thought to see homeless or needy people in the negative, but what about those who have an addiction or mental disorder? It must suck to know the whole world has forgotten about you. Gahhhh dilemma dilemma..

In the end, I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and gave him five bucks and a granola bar. It's not much but it's a lot coming from a student. Maybe someday when I make millions of dollars a year (sike) I can afford to give more but it would probably go to an organization, where I know my money will be handled responsibly. I hope one day the attitudes towards those less fortunate will change, but for now I'll just keep handing out granola bars.



c/o meek

xx, loveLC


1 comment:

  1. i like your blog. very poignant

    ps. i'm stealing this image ;)


    -leroi

    ReplyDelete