Tuesday, December 7, 2010

god's green earth

When I was younger, I wanted what every little girl is trained to want at that age. I dreamt of one day having loving husband, 2.5 children, that perfect house in suburbia with the white picket fence and a breakfast nook. Maybe a golden retriever or German Shepard mulling around in our perfect backyard with avocado trees and perfectly cut gorgeous green grass. But as I got older I began to learn that this world was not what I thought it to be.

This isn't the type of world I want to raise my children in. There are so many fucked up things happening socially, economically, and environmentally but the the thing that gets me the most is the inaction. We KNOW we're running out of oil, we KNOW we're running out of food and clean air and water and our kids are littering and we aren't doing shit about it. We've allowed the government to brainwash us and allowed money and materials to control us. It's a shame that we've become so disjointed from the very Earth we live in. 


We know Monsanto has patented seeds and have messed with them so much biologically that they are no longer able to reproduce. We know we're running out of oil but we're too lazy to hop on our bikes to get to the 7-eleven.. down the street. We know our children are starting to value Louis Vuitton's and expensive cars and getting drunk weekly just because you're bored and there's nothing else to do and to show how cool you are. Stop it.

What do young kids do for fun nowadays? Shit, I don't know. But I can guess. Internet? Gameboys? Phones? What happened to playing outside and getting dirty and walking home with your friends at dusk and feeling the cool air on your skin? That's how I grew up. That's how I came to value beautiful weather and pretty green grass I can walk barefoot in and the crisp air of the morning. It's no wonder they don't pay attention to what's happening around them.

I refuse to raise kids. I'm going to travel and meet people around the world and I'm going to make them smile and have a positive impact and when the world finally runs out of energy and money is worthless and we live in complete chaos I can rest well knowing that I didn't bring a child into this world to suffer through that. 

Rant. Over.

xx, loveLC

No comments:

Post a Comment